History of EIL Chapter

Epsilon Iota Lambda Chapter Founders

Epsilon Iota Lambda Chapter Founders

The History of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.

At the turn of the 20th century, a group of men with common interest gathered and formed Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. A sequence of events took place in the Suffolk area of Virginia during the late 1940s. The common interest at this time was the organizing of a graduate chapter for this area. Members of Alpha Phi Alpha, Inc from Suffolk and Smithfield (VA) began working on the requirements to charter a new alumni chapter. From Suffolk were Brothers H. M. Bass, Simon A. Cook, L. T. Reid, M. D., W. Lovell Turner, and Kennard Roper, II. From Smithfield were Brothers Alfred Pl Godwin, and Julius M. Gray. Brother Bass (initiated at Beta Epsilon, N. C. A&T) gathered these Brothers together to organize a graduated chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha, Inc. With assistance from the General Office and the Zeta Lambda chapter (Newport News VA), the necessary steps to establish a graduate chapter in Suffolk. VA began.  The following requirements were necessary to establish a Suffolk Chapter:

1. A commitment of another graduate chapter to serve as sponsor.

2. A total of seven Brothers in good standing with the General Organization.

3. It required the Brothers in Suffolk to experience some of the
hardship in becoming affiliated with another graduate chapter in the Tidewater area.

4. A designated Brother of the sponsoring chapter to oversee and direct the activities of the Neophyte Chapter as set forth by the General Organization. After a period of three to four months of instruction at intervals during the probationary period by Brother Riddley, (President of Zeta Lambda Chapter) on the responsibilities and the operation of a graduate chapter, the general organization approved a charter for the establishment of a chapter in Suffolk. Upon completing the organization process, on October 1, 1950, this chapter was chartered as EPSILON IOTA LAMBDA CHAPTER, of ALPHA PHI ALPHA FRATERNITY INC.

EIL Founders and first officers are as listed:

            President W. Lovell Turner

            Vice President Kennard Roper, II

            Secretary H. M. Bass (Recording. & Correspondence.)

            Financial Sec. Alfred P. Godwin

            Parliamentarian Julius M. Gray

            Treasurer L. T. Reid, M.D.

            Historian Simon A. Cook

The first intake occurred on April 4, 1951.
The new members were:

             R. H. Bland, D. D. S.

             Walter P. Richardson, D. D. S.

             Benjamin L. Davis, Jr.